The marble columns and 15- to 25-foot-high ceilings of Vol Walker Hall make a grand backdrop for the sketches and models that architecture and landscape architecture students display there year round. Completed in 1935 as the University library, the graceful Classical Revival building has been home to the School of Architecture since 1968. The library's light-filled communal spaces have been transformed into studios: the former reading room, for example, houses second-, third-, and fourth-year architecture students, encouraging communication among them. The Ken Shollmier Lecture Hall on the ground floor was renovated in 2003 with new cork flooring and the latest audio-visual equipment.
Vol Walker Hall is located in the heart of the UA campus, adjacent to Old Main and the Mullins Library, and close to the Fine Arts Library and the Student Union. The Fulbright Peace Fountain, designed by alumni Fay Jones and Maurice Jennings in 1998, graces the entrance. Jones viewed the 41-foot tall fountain, one of his last projects, as the “exclamation point” of his career.